Tri-Town Teachers Federal Credit Union was founded in 1955 to serve the special financial needs of teachers. At that time, many teachers were having difficulty obtaining credit as many banks considered them a bad risk as they were not employed all year long. A group of teachers decided to form a credit union so that they could help themselves. Thus we were born.
At the end of the first year of operation, the credit union had just over 100 members and $3,500.00 in assets. In the years since, the times have changed and we have changed with them. As of December 2014 we had 2207 members and over $18,300,000.00 in assets.
Our membership is more diversified, now consisting of not only teachers, but all Board of Education Employees from Westport, Weston and Wilton, the Municipal Employees of Westport, employees of the Law Firm of Fiore & Fiore, employees of Colony Grill, Inc., and Family Members as well. We have grown from the briefcase of the first Treasurer, Raymond Walsh, to a credit union owned building in downtown Westport.
Our permanent home was purchased and renovated in 1989 and is on the National Register of Historic Landmarks. From this one location we serve members across the United States and in several foreign countries.